Out of Sorts Animal Companion? Reiki to the Rescue!
Progressive and forward thinking pet owners all over the world are fans of the practice of Reiki, a system of holistic energy balancing. Within the last decade, however, the use of animal Reiki among animal rescues, behaviorists, pet owners, and veterinarians has skyrocketed.
What Exactly is Pet Reiki?
Reiki is based on energy which all living creatures are made of. The practice of Reiki involves energy traveling through the hands of a practitioner through a subject’s energy pathways and centers, then through the whole body, creating an energetic space that fosters a subject’s self-healing.
Reiki is ideal for pets because it is gentle and noninvasive. The practice never harms an animal. It can correct energy imbalances in an animal’s body. A session usually lasts 15 to 30 minutes.
What’s in it for Animals?
Reiki for cats and dogs offers benefits to both sick and well animals. It can:
- Strengthen an animal’s immune system before cancer treatment
- Speed healing after sickness or surgery
- Help with behavior issues by promoting relaxation and stress reduction
- Relieve pain from arthritis
- Provide comfort and relieve pain, anxiety and fear for terminally ill animals, as well as owners
- Enhance a pet’s overall well-being
Veterinarians intrigued by the possibilities of pet Reiki are adding it as an adjunct therapy. Used in conjunction with conventional medicine, it can result in a speedier recovery and saves owners considerable cost and anxiety.
This article appeared in The Reiki Times, the official magazine of the International Association of Reiki Professionals.